Instead of turning to sugar, caffeine, alcohol and drugs for stimulation and comfort, why not try the following natural highs:
- Exercise releases endorphins which are natural pain killers that enhance your feeling of well-being. Exercising also increases your strength, stamina and ability to move in the world. This lends itself to sport and play, and your sense of personal power and accomplishment.
- Hugs release oxytocin which is also known as the ‘love hormone’ or the ‘cuccdle chemical’. Appreciation, generous touch, gratitude, and emotional connections with others also raise oxytocin levels. In addition, oxytocin appears to be behind many of the health benefits from meditation, massage and acupuncture.
- Laughter Yoga uses playful physical and mental techniques to promote genuine, shared laughter in large groups of people. Humor and laughter strengthen your immune system, boost your energy, diminish pain, and protect you from the effects of stress.
- Tai Chi and Qigong are ancient systems of encouraging the flow of Chi (life energy) around your physical and non-physical body using particular combinations of movement and focused attention.
- Good Mood Food. I know that food affects mood, and I still need to do more research about it, but here’s some of what I’ve read: As a rule, plenty of fruits and vegetables and wholegrain cereal foods, with some protein foods, including fatty fish, will support a good supply of nutrients for good health and good mood.
If you know of any other good natural highs, please list them below so we can build a big database for people who wish to develop healthy happy habits. 🙂