I came across a really nice idea, called The Reality Diet, in which you replace passive, virtual activities with interactive, real world experiences. Examples of this are:
- Instead of watching a Game Show on TV, you play a fun game with your friends.
- Instead of watching X-Factor, you have a Karaoke night.
- Instead of listening to a CD at home, you go out to a live music gig.
- Instead of passively watching a cookery program, you try out some new recipes yourself.
- Instead of looking through books about art, you go to an exhibition or paint your own picture.
- Instead of watching sports, you play sports, etc.
You get the idea.
When I first found out about it, it made me realise how virtual my own activities have been of late, and I’ve been taking steps since then to have more real world experiences with friends.
If you feel you would benefit from implementing it in your own life, give it a go. 🙂